E-DISCOVERY READINESS ASSESSMENT CHECKLIST
Policy and awareness
• Does the organization have a robust records management policy?
• Has the records management policy been communicated to all personnel?
• Is the records management policy enforced?
• Does the records management policy include retention schedules for digital and non-digital information?
• Does the records management policy cover all phases of the information lifecycle?
• Does the organization maintain a ‘digital information inventory’?
• Does the organization know where its information assets are located (including duplicates, back-ups, etc)?
• Does the organization’s technology automate / support compliance with its records management policies?
Roles and responsibilities
• Does the organization define roles and responsibilities for information stewards / data owners?
• Does the organization define roles and responsibilities for information custodians / caretakers?
• Has the IT department assigned a knowledgeable point person for coordinating E-Discovery requests?
Process and capabilities
• Does the IT department have a formal written procedure for responding to E-Discovery requests?
• Does the IT department have a formal procedure for retaining information in response to a ‘legal hold’?
• Does the IT department have access to E-Discovery searching and forensics expertise (on-staff or off)?