Biochemistry is more than 50 years old and deals with physico-chemical principles of life processes. The understanding of biochemistry is vital for practicing doctors and those who are with the patients.
The subject is vast as the processes and mechanisms are being discovered and reshaped. The genomic revolution is continuously upgrading the knowledge field. The complete medical fraternity has to be armed with the biochemical basis, molecular basis and genomic basis of the disease and their symptoms and identification. Therefore, this book incorporates the biochemical basis and symptoms of diseases. The salient features of the book are listed below:
- This is the first and only book which covers the topics and content as prescribed by the Indian Nursing Council (INC) for B.Sc. Nursing students.
- Language of the book is lucid and simple.
- Illustrated with numerous diagrams with captions.
- This is the only book of Biochemistry for Nurses in which the diagrams shown in two shades, for better understanding of students.
- The interpretation and investigation part is described in detail as required for B.Sc. Nursing students.
- The Metabolic disorders are described in detail.
The book is primarily targeted for B.Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biotechnology, B.Tech. Biotechnology and B. Pharmacy students. Thus, as per the requirements of INC, and the syllabus, the book has been divided into eight chapters.
Chapter 1 deals with introduction with a scope of nursing and cell structure and function
Chapter 2 deals with structure and functions of cell membrane, transport mechanisms, pH, buffers, and fluid
Chapter 3 deals with nomenclature, structure, composition and metabolism of carbohydrates
Chapter 4 deals with nomenclature, composition and metabolism of lipids, vitamins and steroid hormones, cholesterol and its role and clinical significance
Chapter 5 discusses composition and metabolism of amino acids and proteins, protein structure and sequencing and enzymes and enzyme mechanisms
Chapter 6 is related to composition of vitamins and minerals
Chapter 7 discusses immunochemistry, structure and function of immunoglobulins, HLA, tissue typing
Chapter 8 explains composition and metabolism of nucleic acids
This book is useful for students because it contains questions based on topics and multiple-choice questions with answers. We are thankful to reviewers for their feedback and their suggestions have been incorporated.